Shoreditch, East London, July 2015
Shot on Nikon f100 & Pentax 645
Developed & Scanned by Carmencita Film Lab
This shoot was something a little bit different than my usual couple shoots.
It was a blend of couple meets business, as Eulanda & Omo are the brains and creativity behind travel blog: HDYTI (Hey Dip Your Toes In!)
And, oh my, they are amazing. Total couple crush on these two!
Together we explored trendy East London, walking through the famous Brick Lane curry street and stylish, creative Shoreditch. We drank juice, stumbled upon gardens and ended the day with a fabulous stroll by the canals in Hoxton. So great to get out there and photograph my neighbourhood with these two!
East London is a great location if you fancy something a bit different to your usual couple or engagement photographs. Maybe parks, flowers and fields aren’t you. You’re a little more city chic. Shoreditch is ideal if you want your photographs to be bit more urban, creative and ‘rough around the edges’.
As an East Londoner myself, I officially love shooting cool and alternative couples in my neck of the woods! I’ve written up some do’s & don’ts if you’re planning getting you’re photographs taken in East London. Check them out at the bottom of this post
- If possible, do a walk about before you come for your session. London is a pretty big place and even just in Shoreditch there is so much happening and so much to see. If you have a idea on what you want – or if you’re limited on time – I highly recommend doing a walk-around and finding some spots you love. Grabs some shots on your phone, save the location and send them across to your photographer!
- Think about clothing. With any shoot it’s important to wear what you’re comfortable in but also think about your environment. Shoreditch (and around) has a lot of great street art. Its very urban – think graffiti, brick walls and busy backgrounds. To best stand out in front of all this I suggest wearing block colours and minimal patterns. This will seperate you from the background – you’re the main subject!
- Be willing to get lost! It’s totally worth doing a little exploring on the day, who knows what you will stumble upon as you walk around? In this shoot we were walking down a street full of amazing street art, we turned a corner and walked straight into a quaint and pretty little park. Perfect!
- Don’t come on a Sunday! Sunday around this area is brilliant BUT it is market day. The streets are packed, it’s incredibly busy, lively and noisy – but a lot more difficult to get photographs without people walking into the shot! If you can, I’d advise a mid-week or even a Saturday session.
- Book a local photographer! As I said above, London is pretty massive, if you pick a photographer that know’s the area, they can show you to some spots you might not get from someone new to Shoreditch.
I hope this has been of some use to you! Leave a comment if you have any more questions – or pop an e-mail my way. East London is totally cool – worth getting you’re explore on anyway, if you’re in London.